Lately, I've been working on making our usual family meals more
appealing. This includes one of our staple meals, meatloaf.
Via facebook, I took a survey to see what some of my amazing friends
put on top of their meatloaf. Here are the results of that
quick survey, in no particular order.
1. Nothing Although there is no
separate topping for this meatloaf, the recipe calls for adding
onion dip mix and ketchup to the meat before forming the loaf.
2. Ketchup Pour ketchup over the
top just before baking. Kids adore this topping!
3. BBQ sauce A few people use BBQ
spread over the top of meatloaf as a topping. A sweet, honey
BBQ had more than one recommendation.
4. 1/2 cup ketchup, 3 Tbls cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup brown
sugar. Mix these 3 ingredients together and spread evenly over
the top of your meatloaf before baking.
5. 3 Tbls brown sugar, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 tsp grated
nutmeg, and 1 tsp dried mustard Mix and spread over the top of
meatloaf before baking.
6. A mix of ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and
Worcestershire sauce. This is one of those toppings where you
add the ingredients according to personal taste. Experiment!
7. Grated parmesan cheese and French's fried onions.
Equal parts to cover the meatloaf.
8. Ketchup, honey and cumin. Another one of those
"use amount you like" kind of recipes.
9. Grape jelly added to any of the above toppings.
This is by far the strangest ingredient I've seen in a meatloaf
topping. I have several friends that swear by it, and they are
fantastic cooks. It's next on my list of new recipe
ingredients to try.
Hopefully, some of these ideas will become part of your family's
favorite toppings for your meatloaf recipes. Experiment and
have fun in the kitchen!